Curriculum Translator (Grades 4 to 9)
EdTech Curriculum Department
At Learning Lab Apps we obsess about the quality of the curriculum content we produce for our customers. Our goal is to see children improve their school results. If this sounds like a goal that makes you excited, and you have the ability to translate content between English and Afrikaans, then this job might just be for you!
We’re looking for a translator to work with us on a part-time basis (ideal for teachers wanting to earn a decent second income). You’ll be translating curriculum content from English to Afrikaans, and sometimes from Afrikaans to English, across a range of subjects and grades.
You’ll need exceptional language skills in order to be considered for this position. You must consistently dot your i’s and cross your t’s with military precision, and be passionate about translation that is grammatically correct without losing the original meaning.
You’ll be working with our EdTech Curriculum Development team to create the best content possible for our WorksheetCloud online app.
Is this job for me?
You’ll need to have all these qualities and qualifications in order to be considered for this position:
- Teaching qualification (B.Ed / PGCE) OR suitable experience in translating academic/school curriculum material.
- Fully bilingual in English and Afrikaans.
- Extremely detail-orientated with the ability to proofread and spot errors. You need impeccable spelling and grammar skills in English and Afrikaans.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to write study notes and subject content.
- Available to attend training and workshops on selected weekends or evenings in Cape Town.
- Have between 8 to 10 hours available per week to dedicate to this job. You will be working remotely and can choose your own working hours (evenings and weekends are fine).
- Excellent computer skills.
- Own laptop and reliable internet access at home.
- Applicants with experience in teaching South African CAPS curriculum Natural Science, Natuurwetenskappe, Social Sciences, Sosiale Wetenskappe for Grades 4 to 9 will be given preference for this first project.
- A clear ability to motivate why you want to join the Learning Lab Apps team and why you will be our next top performing translator.
This is what you’ll be doing as our Curriculum Translator:
- Manage and undertake the translation of CAPS content in Grades 4 to 9 from English to Afrikaans within our product.
- Complete work within required timelines and to a consistently high level of quality.
- Use internal project management tools and spreadsheets to plan, manage and drive curriculum translation.
- Update our internal “Translation Playbook” (a step-by-step guide on how to translate content in our product).
- Stay up to date with academic terms (jargon) in various subject areas in both English and Afrikaans.
- Communicate regularly with our Curriculum Manager.
Remuneration: Based on how much work you complete each month.
Location: Remote position (work anywhere). You will be required to attend training and workshops from time to time over weekends or evenings at our Cape Town office.
Employment type: Part-time, 6 month initial contract with option to extend.
Hours: Between 8 to 10 hours per week. You can choose your own work hours, provided you get the job done properly.
Department: EdTech Curriculum Department
Reports to: Curriculum Manager
How to Apply
Our application process works like this:
- Read the entire job description above to ensure that you are the right fit for this position.
- Complete the online application here.
- If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to translate one worksheet from English to Afrikaans, and one worksheet from Afrikaans to English as a test of your translation ability.
- If you pass this test, you will be invited to a formal interview.