Junior Digital Marketing Assistant
Are you a promising digital marketer and social media genius with an hilarious personality and a knack for writing?
At Learning Lab Apps we build the world’s best edtech apps. We’ve built an amazing product (WorksheetCloud) that has been a huge hit with parents from day one, and we continue to grow thanks to happy users who can’t shut up about how much of a difference WorksheetCloud has made in the lives of their children (look here).
Our company is growing and we’re looking for a full-time, creatively-minded Junior Digital Marketing Assistant to help us continue to spread the message about WorksheetCloud far and wide. You will help manage our PPC advertising on Google Adwords and Facebook, build and manage email campaigns that reach over 50,000 parents, manage and grow our existing communities (blog, Facebook: over 120,000 followers), help us create and distribute meaningful content, identify and build relationships with influencers, and serve premium blends of tea to our Marketing Manager throughout the day, every day.
We’re kidding about the tea. Or are we?
In this position you need to be super creative with a trick up every sleeve and one in your back pocket. You should be a strong writer – one who wields words so powerful you can reduce a grown man to tears in a matter of seconds, or make a mother laugh out loud even though her child is on the brink of failure at school. You should have some experience in managing social communities and know how to create a solid Facebook and Adwords ad. You should also have an eye for analytics and trends, meaning you know how to read a graph and interpret marketing results in order to make better marketing and advertising decisions.
Disclaimer: we’re on the hunt for a current junior who can turn into a senior and potentially become our Marketing Manager in the very near future. So there is huge growth potential in this position, if you’re the right person.
That’s a taste of what you’ll be working on at Learning Lab Apps. But before we tell you more, you first need to know who we are and whether or not you’ll even like working with us …
Who We Are
Learning Lab Apps is an edtech startup (4+ years and counting) headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa, with a bunch of remote employees working all over the world.
We developed the top edtech app in South Africa called WorksheetCloud which helps learners prepare for school exams and class tests in Grades 1 to 12. We love education and edtech, and we exist to build apps that change children’s futures for the better. We also build apps that make parents’ lives easier and less stressful.
Our company is bootstrapped, profitable and growing. We haven’t taken on any outside funding because we’re in it for the long haul.
We have one pivotal requirement when it comes to joining our small team: that our company culture and philosophy is something that really resonates with you and makes you want to scream “hire me, I love it!”.
Let’s look at what life is like at Learning Lab Apps before going into the job details for this specific position …
We have a small, but incredibly effective team with a diverse range of backgrounds and skills that all add up to make our company fantastic. Our team is full of exceptional people – the kind you’ll love to work with. You’re a team player? You’ll fit right in. You’re a recluse with no desire to be friendly? Then this job isn’t for you.
Choose Your Hours and Your Office
We have flexible working hours designed to be mutually beneficial to both you and your role at our company. We expect you to put in 7 hours of work Monday to Friday somewhere between 8am and 5pm, but you get to choose when you start and when you end, as long as your job is done properly. You may also have the option to work remotely depending on how long you’ve been employed by our company and what your job requires. Note: This Junior Marketing Assistant position is based at our Monte Vista, Cape Town office.
Take Time Off (Seriously)
You’ll get a minimum of 20 paid leave days every year which increases the longer you work at Learning Lab Apps. You also get a few extra paid leave days throughout the year to help you unwind and relax. We believe in rest and relaxation and take the health of our team seriously.
Learn Something New (Seriously)
We’ll pay towards classes to help you learn something new or further a skill that helps you advance in your career. We take learning and growth seriously.
Read, Rock Out or Binge-watch
Stay entertained on us. Love reading, listening to music or watching movies and series? We provide free access to Amazon Kindle, Google Play and Netflix to help you unwind.
We have a bonus plan based on profitability that you’ll be in on from day one. Learning Lab Apps wins, you win.
Change Lives Through Education
You’ll sleep well at night knowing that the work you’re doing has a direct impact on the education and future of tens of thousands of children, as well as reducing anxiety and stress on parents. Everybody wins.
Now, back to you, our potential Junior Digital Marketing Assistant …
As our new Junior Digital Marketing Assistant, or JDMA, you’ll need to hit the ground running by analyzing existing campaigns, and help to develop and execute new and improved digital marketing campaigns that include paid advertising, email marketing, blog content creation and
brewing tea for our Marketing Manager. It’s all about optimisation and generating higher conversions from our marketing efforts. And you’ll be responsible for this.
Your week will look something like this:
- Advertising: brainstorm new ideas, create and implement PPC campaigns across Facebook and Adwords, analyze results, make recommendations.
- Content cowboy/cowgirl: planning, editing (and maybe some writing), publishing on our blog, and liaising with authors.
- Email creator: planning, building and scheduling email campaigns to over 50,000 subscribers, analyze results, make recommendations.
- Influencer relationships: source and build relationships with potential influencers and partners.
- Customer engagement: manage and grow our social media following, build relationships with customers, pursue awesome customer success stories to share and help us grow our user base.
You’ll need to have ALL these qualities and qualifications in order to be considered for this position:
- At least 1 year of experience in digital marketing and community management with an established brand.
- Relevant marketing qualification (does NOT need to be a degree).
- Matric certificate with minimum B symbol for English Home Language OR minimum A symbol for English Additional Language.
- Very strong comprehension, written and verbal communication skills (impeccable spelling and grammar – this is a non-negotiable).
- Strong writing skills – you’re a versatile writer and a good storyteller.
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to work on your own when required.
- Exceptionally well organised.
- People often tell you how hilarious and kind you are.
- You are an idea generator always coming up with creative, crazy ideas, and you aren’t afraid to share them no matter how stupid you think you might sound.
- Good knowledge of how to manage and develop PPC campaigns (Facebook Ads, Google Adwords).
- Good knowledge of email marketing (a major plus if you’ve used MailChimp before).
- Good knowledge of blogging (a major plus if you’ve used WordPress before).
- Ability to do some basic image editing like creating a banner advertisement or featured image for a blog (a major plus if you’ve used Photoshop or Paint.net before).
- Ability to work from our Monte Vista, Cape Town office Monday to Friday, with the potential flexibility to work remotely in the future.
- A clear ability to motivate why you are destined to become our next Junior Digital Marketing Assistant superstar.
The ability to brew an awesome cup of tea.
Level: Junior Position
Remuneration: R10,000 to R15,000 salary per month, depending on experience and ability, as well as up to a 100% annual performance bonus.
Perks: 7 hour work day, 20 days annual paid leave, internet connectivity allowance, free Netflix, Google Play and Kindle, continuing education opportunities, and hardly any traffic to the office (depending where you’re coming from)
Location: Learning Lab Apps Development Office in Monte Vista, Cape Town (possibility to work remotely in the future)
Employment type: Permanent Full Time
Start date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Learning Lab Apps supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.
How to Apply
Our application process works like this:
- Read the entire job advertisement above to ensure that you are the right fit for this position.
- Complete the online application here.
- If you are shortlisted, you will be asked to complete a basic English language test (written communication, verbal communication, listening skills).
- If you pass our language test, you will be invited to a formal interview as well as take part in some practical tests so that we can determine your suitability for this position. Start practicing how to brew the perfect cup of tea!